Lemon Peel tea has long been noted for its immuno-enhancing, diuretic, carminative and stomachic properties.
The lemon peel is the tough outer layer that covers the lemon fruit in its entirety. It is aromatic and light to bright yellow in color. It typically possesses longitudinal stripes punctuated by countless oil glands. Lemon peel is made up of the exocarp (or flavedo) and the white pith (or albedo). A popular food ingredient is the lemon zest which is obtained by scraping off slivers of the exocarp with a knife or cutter.
Because of its sharp lemony flavor, lemon peel is often used as an additive to beverages, cooked foods, baked foods, and pastries as a flavoring tool. It is used either in fresh, dried, candied or pickled forms. In addition to food, it is also mixed with other aromatic herbs to create potpourris, bath blends and bath scrubs. It is also used for household applications of cleaning, polishing and air-freshening.
The lemon fruit comes from the tree that was believed to have originated in the Mediterranean area. It typically grows to about 25 feet in height and possesses elliptic, finely-toothed dark green leaves.
Lemon peel contains many antioxidant flavonoids such as limonene and pectin. It is also a good source of Vitamin C, thiamine and riboflavin, as well as minerals like calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium.
An herbal tea using lemon peel can be made by simply placing a handful of dried peel in a pan of boiling water. Let it boil for around 3 minutes. Take it out of the heat and let it stand and simmer for a further 5 to 7 minutes. Add some honey and some lemon juice to the mix and sip slowly.
The following are the health benefits attributed to this infusion:
- May help stimulate the appetite and facilitate good digestion.
- May help contribute to healthy skin.
- May potentially help in lowering the risk for skin cancer due to exposure to the sun.
- May aid in strengthening and enhancing the immune system.
- May help ward off coughs, colds and other virus-related ailments.
- May help alleviate discomforts brought about by varicose veins or bloodshot eyes. Lemon peel is believed to help strengthen blood vessels and to enhance blood circulation in the extremities.
- May help fight hemorrhoids.