Kava is the traditional sacramental brew of the Polynesians.
Kava was brought to Hawaii centuries ago in the sailing canoes of the ancient Polynesian voyagers. Only the best varieties were selected to make the long journey over thousands of miles of the ocean. The healthy properties of kava are found in the roots.
Several rhizome components and lactones have been isolated in the kava root. Of the fifteen lactones isolated from kava, there are six major lactones (kavalactones) known to provide psychoactive activity.
This tea is made by infusing finely-ground kava roots in boiling water.
Many consider this drink to be the most relaxing single herbal brewed tea available.
The following are the observed kava tea benefits:
- Has been shown to medically effective in elevating mood, reducing stress and enhancing relaxation.
- Has a direct effect on muscle tension similar to tranquilizers.
- Been used in the treatment of ailments of the genitourinary tract including vaginitis, gonorrhea and menstrual cramps.
- Its anti-inflammatory, thus useful for gout, rheumatism, bronchial congestion, cystitis and prostates.
- Has been shown to be an effective pain reliever.