The health benefits of Bitter orange peel tea are known for their anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial features.
Bitter orange refers to the fruit of the citrus tree that grows in the Mediterranean region, Africa, Arabia, Syria and parts of Asia . It is an evergreen tree with lots of spines and fragrant flowers.
Known by its scientific name of citrus aurantium and known commonly as Seville orange or bigarade, the fruit possesses a thick, dimpled skin, and a highly tart taste. Due to this, bitter orange is particularly prized for making marmalade.
The oil from bitter orange is commonly used in flavoring of food, as well as in the manufacture of cosmetics and aromatherapy products. Oil can likewise be extracted from its flowers and is called neroli.
Bitter orange peel is believed to be high in a volatile oil composed of limonene, flavonoids, coumarins, and triterpenes, as well as several useful biological molecules like vitamin C, beta carotene, and pectin.
An infusion of bitter orange peel tea can be made by placing one teaspoonful of the coarsely cut peel in a pot of 150 ml newly-boiled water. Let the mix stand for about 10 to 15 minutes.
The following are believed to be some bitter orange peel tea benefits:
- May be helpful against loss of appetite.
- May help against dyspeptic ailments.
- May help fight against stomach complaints and indigestion.
- The tea is believed to help against heartburn.
- The tea has been used in parts of Asia against coughs, colds and sore throat.
- When applied topically the tea may help fight fungal infections such as ringworm and athlete’s foot.
- May help in weight loss. However, there seems to be a bit of controversy on the safety of its inclusion in many herbal weight loss products as it contains the substances synephrine and octopamine which have been linked with increased blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems.
- Pregnant and nursing women, as well as people who have heart condition, should avoid the use of bitter orange as its safety is yet to be fully established.