The Irish breakfast tea variety of black tea gives many health benefits most of which are gotten from the antioxidant content of the camellia sinensis plant where it and all types of black tea come from.
Irish breakfast tea comes from a blend of black teas, primarily Assam tea and Ceylon tea. It is very similar to English breakfast tea and the main difference is that Irish breakfast tea contains a stronger amount of black tea than the former. As a result, Irish breakfast tea possesses a darker color and a deeper flavor than its English counterpart. Its taste may be described as somewhat citrusy and brisk with a slight touch of malty spiciness, owing to the blend of the Assam and Ceylon varieties of black tea. Irish breakfast tea contains a stronger amount of caffeine than its English counterpart.
Irish breakfast tea is typically enjoyed with milk and sugar although many prefer to take it without any addition. It also typically accompanies a breakfast containing bacon, sausage, eggs, bread, porridge and rolled oats.
Notwithstanding its name, this tea is enjoyed throughout the day in Ireland, where it is simply referred to as “tea”.
The best Irish Breakfast tea is generally believed to come in loose leaf form as it usually contains the best parts of the tea plant. When it is brewed, the loose leaves slowly unfold to release its flavor. The tea should ideally be brewed loosely in a pot which will allow the tea to completely expand in the water.
An ideal steeping time for Irish breakfast tea is anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes.
The following are a few benefits attributed to this brew:
- May be helpful in lowering the risk for cardiovascular ailments such as heart attacks and stroke.
- May be helpful in strengthening the immune system and thus contribute to warding off diseases and ailments caused by viruses and bacteria.
- May be helpful in lowering the risk for cell damage which in turn may lead to cancer.
- May help in relieving tension, enhancing relaxation and soothing the nerves.
- May assist in strengthening teeth and fighting cavities.
- May aid in improving and enhancing blood circulation.