Thyme tea has been known to impart many health benefits for centuries. This herb grows all over the world and it’s many differing varieties can be found from Greenland to Asia. As with many herbs most thyme can be found in the Mediterranean area.
In medieval times, women would often give knights and warriors gifts that included thyme leaves as it was believed to bring courage to the bearer. Thyme was also used as incense and placed on coffins during funerals as it was supposed to assure passage into the next life.
There are many varieties of thyme. Here is a handful of these:
– Doerfleri thyme – Thymus doerfleri
– Archers Gold thyme – Thymus Citriodorus
– Annie Hall Thyme – Thymus Serpyllum
– Lemon Curd Thyme – Thymus serpyllum
Below are some of the renowned benefits of thyme:
- Can be used as a mouthwash to treat a sore throat or infected gums.
- Claimed to help ease rheumatic pain.
- Thought to cut down on excessive flatulence.
- Said to help battle headaches.
- Has been shown to be beneficial in treating coughs related to colds and flu as well as whooping cough.
- Can also be used to treat anemia, bronchial ailments, intestinal problems.
- Known as a anti fungal that supposedly helps with athlete’s foot and skin parasites.