Mullein has been recognized by many herbal treatment practitioners for quite some time now.
Mullein is a tall biennial plant with a single stalk that rises as high as 6½ feet. It has a swirl of leaves and topped with a spike of 5-part yellow flowers. Mullein flowers have a honey-like scent and a sweet taste.
The mullein plant is seen as a pest by most gardeners, but its leaves and distinctive yellow flowers are extremely powerful weapons against a wide range of ailments.
Mullein tea is made primarily from the dried leaves and flowers of the plant. To make mullein tea, pour a cup of boiling water to the mullein herbs and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
The components of the mullein herbs like mucilage, flavonoids, Iridoids, sterols, and sugars will be transferred into the this herbal drink.
Following are some benefits thus realized from drinking this tea:
- Helps in treatment of respiratory problems like bronchitis, asthma, whooping cough, pneumonia and congestion.
- Excellent for treating bladder or urinary tract irritations, including hematuria (bloody urine).
- May help treat diarrhea.
- Can be used to combat insomnia and calm frayed nerves.
- May be effective for cleansing the blood.
- Said to be useful in expelling intestinal parasites like worms.
- Can be used to treat various forms of allergies.
- May be useful in providing relief from painful hemorrhoids by swabbing the anus.