Honeybush tea is recently being discovered by health buffs the world over. This South African tea is gaining adherents from many parts of the world as they are being exposed to its healing properties.
Honeybush tea is a delicately-flavored, fruity, tangy, fragrant and aromatic herbal infusion that comes from the flowers and leaves of the cyclopia intermedia shrub found in the coastal districts of West and East Cape Provinces in South Africa.
The shrub typically grows in mountain peaks, streams, marshy areas, and wet slopes. There are about 24 species of honeybush tea found in the wild, of which mainly 4 or 5 are in widespread home or commercial use.
The honeybush got its name from the scent of its flowers which closely resembles that of honey. The taste of honeybush tea is similar to the taste of rooibos tea, except that it is a little bit sweeter. Honeybush tea is caffeine-free.
For hundreds of years, the indigenous people of these Southern African regions have harvested the wild honeybush plants in these rugged, inaccessible areas to produce tea.
Honeybush tea is very rich in minerals such as iron, potassium, calcium, copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese, and sodium. It also possesses potent antioxidant properties.
Honeybush tea is prepared by infusing about 2 tablespoons of the dried honeybush herbs in a liter of newly-boiled water for about 20 minutes. Then strain the mix and drink. Honeybush tea is typically drank with milk and sugar but to maximize the health benefits, it is best to drink the tea without adding anything. It may be used as iced tea when the weather is extremely hot.
The following are some health benefits attributed to this tea:
- May help ease insomnia.
- May help fight indigestion and ease constipation.
- May help enhance the immune system and fight the ravages of the oxidative process.
- May help prevent the development of cancer.
- May help with expelling phlegm.
- May help stimulate milk production in nursing women.
- May help heal minor skin disorders.
- May help in weight loss.
- May help lower blood cholesterol levels.
- May help ease menopausal symptoms.
- May help in the treatment of certain allergies.
- May help in the treatment of asthma.