Goldenseal tea has been recognized especially in the northeastern Native American tribes. It has been known as an effective antibiotic, antiseptic, astringent, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic agent.
Goldenseal’s official name is hydrastis Canadensis and is also known by other names such as orange root, yellow root, wild curcuma, turmeric root, eye root, indian paint and warnera. Goldenseal has also been dubbed as “the poor man’s ginseng” due to its reputation for being a cure-all.
Goldenseal was known to have been introduced outside of its habitat in the 1700s. There was wide acceptance for goldenseal during those days such that exports of the native American plant reached 200,000 to 300,000 pounds annually. However, goldenseal was declared an endangered species in 1996.
The active constituents of goldenseal tea include hydrastine, berberine, berberastine, canadine, candaline, and hydrastinine, fatty acids, resin, polyphenolic acids, meconin, chlorogenic acid, phytosterins and small amounts of volatile oil.
Goldenseal should not be used by pregnant women, as well as those suffering from heart conditions. There are evidence that suggest goldenseal may raise blood pressure.
To unlock and derive the benefits from the active constituents, Goldenseal Tea is made by infusing the dried goldenseal root or powder in near boiling water for about 6 to 10 minutes. Goldenseal Tea can then be taken orally or applied topically as an antiseptic.
The following are some health benefits attributed to this tea:
- May help promote healthy glandular function, and may have a tonic and detoxifying effect on the entire system.
- Said to be effective in treating respiratory infections and mucous membrane infections.
- May be helpful in treating diarrhea.
- May be helpful in relieving intestinal infections.
- May be helpful in overall fight against diabetes.
- May help in relief of yeast infections.
- May be helpful in combating canker sores and periodontal diseases.
- May be helpful in treating eye diseases like trachoma and staph.
- May helpful in treating liver problems in alcoholics.
- May also be helpful in digesting fat.