Fo-ti root tea has been so entrenched in the annals of traditional Chinese medicine that the herbs have always figured in many longevity tonics taken usually by elderly people.
The Fo-ti plant originated in China but is now also found in Taiwan and Japan. It possesses distinctive red stems, heart-shaped leaves and flowers that are colored either white or pink. The root of the plant is the part used in traditional Chinese and Eastern medicine. Fo-ti has a unique taste that combines sweetness and bitterness.
Fo-ti Root BenefitsIn traditional Chinese medicine, the root is typically boiled, soaked and cured in a liquid made from black beans. This mix is known as red fo-ti. Meanwhile, the unprocessed root is called white fo-ti.
Fo-ti is called he shou wu in Chinese. This means “black-haired Mr. He” in Chinese. This name was taken from the famous legend of an older villager named Mr. He who took fo-ti and restored his black hair, youthful appearance, fertility and vitality. As this legend spread throughout the length and breadth of China , the fo-ti root soon became widely-used as treatment for ailments that mostly affect the elderly. These include premature aging, physical weakness, vaginal discharge, and erectile dysfunction.
Among the active constituents of fo-ti root are the following: chrysophanic acid, chrysophanol, emodin. The beneficial effects of these substances can be derived through fo-ti root tea. To prepare the tea, place a teaspoon of root in a 250 ml cup cup of newly-boiled water for 10 minutes. Drink at least 3 cups daily.
Fo-ti is an estrogen stimulant in women, hence making it appropriate for treating a variety of undesirable symptoms in menopause. Pregnant women should avoid the use of fo-ti root tea.
The following are some health benefits attributed to this herbal tea:
- May help in the treatment of insomnia.
- Thought to help in lowering cholesterol levels in the body, as well as decreasing the incidences of artery-hardening in the body. The plant thus also may help in lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- May help in strengthening the immune system.
- Thought to help in rejuvenating the nerves and the brain cells.
- Thought to help in detoxification.
- Thought to help fight fatigue, sagging spirits, and consequently restore youthful energy.
- May help fight eczema, sores and other skin problems.