Cleavers tea has been known for centuries as being effective for skin, heart and kidney diseases. Cleavers is also vaunted as a diuretic and a healer of wounds.
Cleavers Tea BenefitsCleavers is a herbaceous pasture plant native to North America, Britain and Eurasia . The cleavers plant is commonly found as a weed in hedges, in arable lands, as well as in gardens. They grow rampantly and thickly, and usually end up shading out ohter plants that they overrun.
The cleavers plant is characterized by its clinging leaves that usually grow to a height of up to 2 meters. The leaves and stem of the cleavers plant have hook-tipped hairs. The flowers have 4 petals and are usually colored green to white. The seeds, meanwhile, are very sticky and attach themselves to any animal or person passing them.
Also known by its scientific name of gallium aparine and by its other monickers like bedstraw, barweed, catchweed, grip grass, the entire cleavers plant is used in herbal medicine and is harvested just before it blooms in early summer. Cleavers has a slightly bitter taste.
The active constituents of cleavers are chlorophyll, citric acide, rubichloric acid, galiosin and tannins. To derive these constituents, cleavers is usually taken in the form of tea, extracts, capsule, or fresh (as food accompaniment). Cleavers tea is made by infusing 2 to 3 teaspoons of the dried above-ground parts of the cleavers plant in a 250 mg cup of hot water. Let the mixture steep for about 10 to 15 minutes. Cleavers tea may be taken up to three times per day.
The following are some health benefits attributed to cleavers tea:
- This tea is a diuretic and may be used to clear urinary stones and treat urinary tract infections.
- May be helpful in treating jaundice.
- May be helpful in treating congestive heart failure.
- May help in purifying the blood.
- Has been traditionally used for cancer, particularly that of the lymphatic system.
- When applied topically this tea may help in the treatment of the causes of chronic skin conditions like acne, eczema or psoriasis. The tea can also be for freckles and sunburn.
- May also be effective in healing wounds.