The health benefits of Borage tea have been well-known since ancient time for their potency in alleviating symptoms related to melancholy, depression and fatigue. Borage is known to have adaptogenic, demulcent, diuretic, expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Borage is an herb that is originally native to Syria and other parts of the Middle East, but naturalized throughout the Mediterranean region, and also Europe and the United States.
Borage has a habit of growing indeterminately and has often been described as having a weed-like growth pattern. Borage grows to a height of 2 to 3 feet. It has hair all over the stems and leaves. The flowers of the borage plant have five narrow, triangular-pointed petals that have blue and purplish-pink colors.
Borage is often eaten as a fresh vegetable and used in salads or as a garnish. It is likewise cultivated for its medicinal features. It has active constituents of the following: beta-carotene, choline, mucilage, gamma-linoleic acid, fiber and trace minerals. Borage leaves contain vitamin C and are rich in calcium, potassium and mineral salts.
The use and intake of borage should be avoided by pregnant women. Its long-term use is also not recommended.
Borage Tea can be taken to derive the health benefits of borage. To make the tea, pour ¼ cup of dried leaves and flowers into a cup of boiling water. Allow the mix to steep and soak for five minutes, strain, and drink.
The health benefits attributed to borage tea are the following:
- May help treat throat irritation, dry cough, asthma, bronchitis and colds.
- May be helpful in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and gastritis.
- May help alleviate fever.
- May have soothing effect that helps in the quick recovery of people suffering from sadness, grief, depression and melancholy.
- May aid in fighting arthritis and rheumatism.
- May be effective against urinary tract disorders.
- May help support circulation to treat varicose veins.May help in cleansing and detoxifying the body.
- When applied topically the tea may aid in the treatment of such skin problems as boils and bodily rashes.