The health benefits of Andrographis tea have long been utilized in Chinese traditional medicine and Indian pharmacopoeia as being potent for cardiovascular, urinary and digestion-related ailments. Interestingly, andrographis tea has likewise been used in Scandinavian medicine to fight colds and other respiratory problems.
Andrographis tea comes from the annual herbaceous shrub native to India and Sri Lanka called andrographis paniculata. It is widely grown in those areas and parts of subtropical Southeast Asia. It stands erect and typically reaches a height of 30 to 110 centimeters. It possesses slender green stems and lance-shaped leaves. It has a capsule-shaped fruit that measure about 2 centimeters long.
Andrographis plants can typically be found in a diverse set of habitats such as hillsides, coastlines, plains, roadsides and wastelands.
Since very ancient times, andrographis tea and herb have been used in traditional Siddha and Ayurvedic medicine for a variety of medicinal applications. It is widely believed in Indian medicine that the therapeutic value of andrographis paniculata is largely due to its enzyme inducting abilities. Andrographis tea and extract are believed to exhibit anti-typhoid, anti-fungal, antihepatotoxic, antibiotic, anti-malarial, anti-hepatitic, anti-thrombogenic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic qualities.
Andrographis tea benefits are derived from compounds found in the plant such as andrographolides which are forms of diterpene lactones. Other compounds are antioxidant flavonoids and polyphenols, as well as deoxyandrographolides, neoandrographolides and trimethoxyflavones.
Andrographis tea is very bitter as most of the parts of the plant taste bitter.
Research on the andrographis paniculata plant is still not yet considered substantial at this time. As such, this should not be used on a long-term basis. Pregnant and nursing women, as well as children should avoid using andrographis tea until more conclusive studies are carried out. There are some observations to suggest that this may impair fertility so caution needs to be carried out.
The following are some of the health benefits of andrographis tea:
- Andrographis tea is believed to help fight inflammation-related ailments such as rheumatism and arthritis.
- Andrographis tea may help strengthen the immune system.
- Andrographis tea is thought to help lower the risk for development of tumors and certain forms of cancer.
- Andrographis tea may help fight cough, colds and other disorders of the upper respiratory tract.
- Andrographis tea is believed to help fight the flu.
- Andrographis tea may be helpful against diarrhea associated with the E.coli bacteria.
- Andrographis tea is believed to be helpful against diabetes due to its perceived ability to help facilitate glucose metabolism.
- Andrographis tea is believed to help fight malaria.
- Andrographis tea may have HIV-fighting capabilities as it is believed to help prevent the virus from infecting healthy T-cells.
- According to some studies in China, andrographis tea may help prevent the formation of blood clots and prevent re-clogging of the arteries after angioplasty. This conclusion has not yet been verified by other studies however.