The healthy advantages of drinking Dragonwell tea are primarily derived from its antioxidants which are abundant in the green tea (camellia sinensis) plant.
Dragonwell tea, also known as longjing tea or lung ching tea, is a type of green tea that is grown from Hangzhou in the Chinese province of Zhejiang. Most of it is hand grown in tea gardens in the high altitudes of the Tieh Mu mountains. It is said to be the most widely-drunk green tea type in all of China.
Dragonwell tea has four distinct attributes:
- Broad and flat leaves
- Jade-like color
- Mellow flavor
- Sweet, fresh scent and aroma
Dragonwell tea has long been associated with the rulers and governments of China. It was granted the status of Imperial Tea during the Qing Dynasty by Chinese emperor Kangxi. It was also said to have been especially brewed for the ailing Empress Dowager by the Emperor Qianlong.
In recent history, dragonwell tea has also been fondly referred to as China ‘s national drink for it is the green tea variety typically served by Chinese government leaders to visiting heads of state. Dragonwell tea was the beverage served by Chinese leader Mao Tse Tung to U.S. President Richard Nixon when the latter visited China. Even today, it is said that a portion of the production of dragonwell tea is reserved for orders from the government.
Aside from its rich antioxidant content, dragonwell green tea is also rich in Vitamin C, amino acids and other healthy substances that make it a good partner in the maintenance of health.
Dragonwell tea is made by placing about two teaspoons of the dried leaves in a 150 ml cup of newly boiled water and left to steep for about 5 minutes.
Pregnant women should avoid dragonwell tea and other tea drinks due to the presence of caffeine which may give rise to birth defects and other problems.
Here are some health benefits attached to dragonwell tea:
- May help fight cancers and tumors.
- May help strengthen the immune system and help keep viruses, bacteria and infections at bay.
- May help lower cholesterol and lower the risk for cardiovascular diseases.
- May help enhance digestion.
- May help ‘melt’ and burn fat and thus, help in efforts to lose weight.
- May help fight against plaque and other oral problems.
- May help against arthritis, rheumatism and other inflammatory problems.