The health effects attributed to Strawberry tea are mainly derived from both its tea components and its strawberry fruit nutrients.
Strawberry tea is the title used to refer to a flavored tea type that is typically composed of a black tea base that has been infused with the essence and flavor of strawberries. It is sometimes accompanied by dried strawberry pieces and possibly other berries. Strawberry tea is a delectable brew that has that familiar sweet and fruity flavor of strawberry.
Known by its scientific name fragaria ananassa, the strawberry is a fruit that comes from the flowering plant in the Rose family. While there are more than 600 varieties of strawberries that differ in flavor, size and texture, one can usually identify a strawberry by its red flesh that has small seeds piercing its surface, and a small, regal, green leafy cap and stem that adorn its crown.
Strawberry tea is typically made by placing about 1 teaspoon of loose-leaf strawberry tea or 1 strawberry teabag in a mug of newly-boiled water. Allow it to steep for about 3 to 4 minutes. Discard the leaves/teabag and drink. Adding a hint of honey or sugar can be made to sweeten the tea. The tea can be enjoyed both hot and cold.
Strawberry tea benefits are derived from the healthy constituents of the black tea leaves as well as from its strawberry fruit constituent. Black tea is high in antioxidants like catechins and quercetin. It is also abundant in amino acids, minerals (such as magnesium and potassium) and vitamins (like vitamins B, C and E).
Meanwhile, the strawberry fruit is similarly rich in vitamins and minerals. It is rich in vitamin C, manganese, iodine, potassium, folate, vitamin B2, vitamin B5 and omega 3 fatty acids which contribute substantially to the health benefits of the entire brew. It is also rich in such phytonutrient substances as anthocyanins, flavonols, terpenoids and phenolic acid which further add to its healthy properties.
Following are the healthy benefits gained from this delicious brew:
- Strawberry’s may help in regulating blood sugar.
- May help in decreasing the risk for developing tumors and cancer due to the antioxidant content of both the tea leaves and the strawberry fruit.
- Strawberry tea may help in fighting inflammation due to the phytochemical contents of both the tea leaves and the strawberry fruit.
- This tea should help enhance the immune system by combating microbes and viruses.
- Strawberries can be helpful in improving heart and cardiovascular health as it contains phytonutrient substances which may help decrease overall levels of fat in the system and may help block the activity of enzymes that lead to high blood pressure.
- The substances within Strawberry tea may have certain anti-aging properties.